DATA PROTECTION AND YOU
Here at Shepherds Purse Cheeses Limited we care about your personal data. We know that when you provide your data to us you are trusting us to keep it secure, and this is not something we take lightly. As technology develops and data sharing becomes more common, data protection becomes more and more important.When we refer to ‘data’ this includes any information that may be used to identify you. For our purposes this could mean your name, address, email address and telephone number but could include other contact information too.
New legislation, the General Data Protection Regulation (“GDPR”), comes into force on 25 May 2018 and will replace the existing Data Protection Act. We’ve set out below what this means for you.
HOW WE GATHER PERSONAL INFORMATION
There are two main ways in which we gather data:
1. Information you give us: We receive and store any information you enter on our website or give us in any other way, for example by email, telephone or post. We use the information that you provide for such purposes as fulfilling orders, responding to your queries, improving our systems and communicating with you. We do not gather, share or store sensitive personal data such as information on health, race or religion.
2. Information from other sources: We receive and store certain types of information whenever you interact with us. For example, like many websites, we use "cookies" and we obtain certain types of information when your web browser accesses shepherdspurse.co.uk and other content served by or on behalf of us. This includes information about your online purchases and browsing behaviour. Further detail is included below about the use of ‘cookies’ on our website.
HOW WE USE YOUR DATA
There are a number or ways in which we use your personal data:
- To process your orders, manage your account and issue refunds. We need to process your personal data in this way to provide the goods you request.
- To contact you about our products for example by phone, email, post or social media to respond to questions or comments you may have sent to us.
- Manage and improve our business. The information you provide enables us to manage and improve our business going forward, including providing information on: The functionality, attractiveness and efficiency of our website.
- Understanding better the demand for our products across the market.
- Providing you with relevant marketing materials. We want to provide you with marketing communications that are appropriate to you. This may include sending details of promotions, competitions and surveys which you can choose to enter.
- We do not carry out any automated decision-making processes. If your payment is successfully processed when placing your order then your order will be fulfilled by us, subject to stocks being available. Where issues arise when payments are processed then we will contact you directly, using the contact details which you provide to discuss things further.
We would note that we do not sell products to children. If you are under 18 you may use our website only with the assistance / consent of a parent or guardian.
SHARING YOUR PERSONAL DATA
Any personal information provided to or gathered by us is controlled and processed by us. We do not sell your data to others though we may need to share it with third-party organisations. Anyone we do share your data with is permitted to use it only as outlined in this Notice.
Third Party Organisations:
We work closely with other organisations who undertake work on our behalf. Examples include delivering packages, sending postal mail and e-mail, providing marketing assistance including use of social media and processing credit card payments. They have access only to the personal information they need to complete their work and may not use it for any other purpose. They must process the personal information in accordance with the terms outlined here and as permitted by applicable data protection laws.
Fulfilling legal obligations:
We are required by law to retain personal information on record. In certain situations, it may be necessary to disclose this information to another party in order to comply with UK law, for example a legal or crime prevention organisation. We only maintain data on file for as long as required to do so by law. We do not sell, rent, share or otherwise disclose personally identifiable information from customers for commercial purposes.
With Your Consent:
Other than as set out above, you will receive notice when information about you might go to third parties and you will have an opportunity to choose not to share the information.
KEEPING YOUR DATA SECURE
We take data security very seriously. We use computer safeguards such as firewalls and data encryption, and we restrict physical access to paper files we hold to keep them safe. Outlined below are a number of key points regarding data security:
- We use Secure Sockets Layer (“SSL”) software to encrypt data you enter into our website to ensure it is secure.
- We use a third-party provider, PayPal, to process card payments on our behalf. Your payment details are not shared with us as payments are processed directly through the PayPal website. Data you enter into the PayPal site is owned and controlled directly by PayPal who have responsibility for ensuring its safety.
- Where you have chosen to register an account with us it is important for you to protect against unauthorised access to your password and to your computer. Always ensure you sign out when using a shared computer.
- Where you sign up for an account with us you can view the information you have provided to us and update your data where something is incorrect or has changed.
- The data which we collect from you may be transferred to and stored at a destination outside of the European Economic Area (“EEA”). It may also be processed by companies operating outside the EEA who work for us or one of our service providers. Where this happens we will put in place appropriate protection to make sure your personal data remains adequately protected and is treated in line with this policy.
KEEPING YOUR PERSONAL DATA
We keep your personal information securely for as long as we need to fulfil the contractual and legal obligations outlined above. We keep all other information we use for six years after completion of an order. In some circumstances we will hold personal information for longer where necessary, for active or potential legal proceedings and to resolve or defend claims.
You have the right to object to how we use your personal information. You also have the right to see what personal information we hold about you. In addition, you can ask us to correct inaccuracies, delete or restrict personal information or to ask for some of your personal information to be provided to someone else. You can also update your browser settings to prevent new cookies from being accepted or dis-able them altogether. The ‘Help’ feature on your browser should show you how to do this.
You can make a complaint to us using the contact details provided at the bottom of this notice.
KEEPING YOU INFORMED
The speed of change of modern technology means things are constantly changing and evolving. This means that it may be necessary for us to update our terms and conditions regarding data. We will never materially change our policies to make them less protective of you and your data. Where you have expressly provided us with consent to do so we will contact you to notify you of any changes we make. However, where you have requested that we do not contact you we would advise that you review our terms and conditions at regular intervals.
If you have any concerns or questions regarding data please contact us using the details below. All correspondence should be addressed to the Data Protection Officer.
Post: Shepherds Purse Cheeses Ltd, Leachfield Grange, Newsham, Thirsk, YO7 4DJ
You can also contact the Information Commissioners Office on 01625 545 745.