1. Slice the fresh figs into 8 wedges and place into a bowl.
2. Combine the sugar, red wine, cinnamon stick, star anise, and whole cloves in a small heavy saucepan.
3. Bring to the boil and cook for 25 minutes or until reduced by 1/2.
4. Pass the liquid through a fine sieve.
5. Pour the liquid over the figs and let them sit for 30mins.
6. Melt the sugar in a large bottomed pan on a low heat until it has turned into a light caramel.
7. Slowly add the butter until the caramel thickens and runs smooth.
8. Pour into individual non-stick 8-10cm pans and let them cool until caramel has set hard.
9. Drain the liquid off the figs and keep until later.
10. Arrange the 8 wedges of fig neatly inside each of the non-stick pans.
11. On a floured work surface roll out the puff pastry to the thickness of a 50p piece.
12. Cut out a round disc with an 8-10cm-ring cutter.
13. Place the pastry on top of the Figs and tuck in the sides.
14. Place in a pre-heated oven at 200c for 18-22 minutes or until golden brown.
15. Remove from oven and allow to cool for 3 minutes before turning onto a plate.
16. Slice the cheese and place on top.
17. Serve with raspberry sorbet and the spiced syrup.
RASPBERRY SORBET INSTRUCTIONS
1. Place the sugar, water and glucose into a saucepan.
2. Dissolve the sugar over medium heat without stirring.
3. Bring to the boil and simmer briskly for 5-7 minutes until the bubbles thicken and become syrupy.
4. Remove from the heat; pour into a bowl and leave to cool.
5. Put the raspberries in saucepan with a squeeze of lemon juice.
6. Simmer over low heat for 6 minutes or until soft.
7. Place the raspberries in a blender and purée until smooth.
8. Push the purée through a fine sieve to remove all the seeds.
9. Add the cooled syrup to the purée and whisk together.
10. Pour the mixture into an ice cream maker.
11. Process for about 20 minutes according to the manufacturer's instructions, and then freeze.
- FIGS & SYRUP
200g Bluemin White cheese
350ml dry red wine
1 cinnamon stick
2 star anise
4 whole cloves
4 fresh figs cut into 8
CARAMEL & PASTRY INGREDIENTS
300g caster sugar
100g unsalted butter
200g puff pastry
RASPBERRY SORBET INGREDIENTS
375g caster sugar
12. 200ml water
13. 2tsp glucose syrup
14. 500g raspberries (fresh or frozen)
15. squeeze of lemon juice