- Preheat the oven to Gas Mark 3, 170°C, fan 150°C. Grease a shallow ovenproof dish.
- Wash the spinach, put it in a large saucepan, cover and cook on a medium heat until the leaves are just wilted, shaking the pan from time to time. Drain well, allow to cool and squeeze out excess water. Roughly chop and put in a bowl. Add the nutmeg and paprika, season and mix well.
- Slice the potatoes thinly (about 0.5cm thick)
- In an oven proof sauté pan or an oven proof dish, add the cream and the potatoes over medium heat and bring them up to a simmer
- Season with salt and pepper
- If the pan looks too dry you can add more cream (or water). The potato slices should be about 3/4 covered
- Cover and simmer for about 15 minutes, until the potatoes are just starting to get tender
- Add the Harrogate Blue and allow to melt in for a few minutes
- Add the baby spinach, and stir it in
- Top with the gruyere cheese
- Sprinkle evenly with the remaining cheese, and move the pan into the oven. Bake for about 30 minutes until golden brown and cooked through.
For those who love potato gratin, this is a real treat!
- 250g fresh spinach
¼ tsp grated nutmeg
½ tsp paprika
750g Maris Piper or King Edward potatoes, peeled
100g Harrogate Blue
75g Cheddar or gruyère, grated
300ml double cream